History of Peak's Addition Neighborhood
Photo Courtesy of Historic Collection of Jim Anderson
Photo Courtesy of Juliette Fowler Communities Foundation Collection
It is the earliest developed portion of East Dallas as well as its oldest residential neighborhood. Most of the land was part of the acerage settled by Mexican War veteran Captian Jefferson Peak who became a pioneer in Dallas real estate development. Peak subdivided his land and successfully used the network of streetcar lines to promote his developments. You’ll notice many Peak names around Dallas. He donated land to the city for the streets and named them after his family members, a few which are of note: Junius, who served as City Marshal and as captain of the Texas Rangers; Worth, who was in real estate; and Carroll, Fort Worth’s first doctor. There are also Victor, Flora, Harwood, Field and Peak streets.
Peak’s Addition developed over a period of years with four distinct architectural styles. Large country estates were first built from 1855 to 1890. Victorian houses were popular in the neighborhood from 1890 to 1905. Prairie and Craftsman homes from 1905 to 1920 were very abundant. In addition, examples of streetcar apartments from the 1920s are also present. This is Dallas’ fourteenth historic district and was adopted in 1995. This neighborhood has one of the highest concentrations of Victorian homes in Dallas.